Before the development of modern medicine, herbs had been utilized for thousands of years to treat and prevent disease. And it’s thought to be the reason our ancestors lived longer. An herb is a plant or plant part that is utilized for its flavor, aroma, or medicinal qualities. Now we are finding that certain herbs lower blood sugar levels.
Diabetes and hyperglycemia (high blood sugar level) have been one of the most prevalent diseases that occur today. It may be because of our current lifestyle and poor food choices. Diabetes and its complications have been debilitating not only for the body, but the cost of treatment and management can take a toll financially.
Since managing and preventing diabetes can be challenging, many people try out different approaches. Some people want to return to more fundamental practices, such as using herbs to manage and prevent diabetes. But which herbal remedies are beneficial for diabetes? I have put together a list of herbs that can help lower blood sugar levels. Here are the herbs that can help you manage your hyperglycemia and diabetes.
5 Herbs that Can Lower Blood Sugar Levels
- Cinnamon – The dried bark of Cinnamomum trees is used to make the aromatic spice known as cinnamon. It is frequently used in baked goods, desserts, and even some savory meals. This spice can reduce the need for sugar by enhancing the sweetness of a dish. For this reason alone, it is well-liked by those who have type 2 diabetes. However, it can also improve insulin sensitivity, blood glucose, and insulin levels.
- Bitter Melon – Momordica charantia, popularly known as bitter melon, is a plant that derives its name from how bitter it tastes. As it ripens, the bitterness tends to increase. Numerous nutrients found in bitter melon are good for your health. It is associated with reducing blood glucose levels, which according to some studies may help with the management of diabetes.
- Gymnema sylvestre – The majority of the world’s supply of the herb Gymnema sylvestre comes from India and Africa. In Hindi, its name translates to “destroyer of sugar.” It can lower high blood sugar levels and help in the fight against sugar cravings. The herb may also be helpful in the management of diabetes since it may encourage both the release of insulin and the restoration of pancreatic islet cells.
Blood Sugar Stabilization
- Turmeric – Many of the claimed benefits of turmeric are attributed to its active component, curcumin. The high blood glucose level and other complications of diabetes can both be reduced by curcumin. Curcumin is used by other folks because they believe that it can help prevent diabetes. Blood sugar levels may be stabilized and made more manageable with turmeric extract.
- Licorice Root – Amorfrutins, which are found in licorice root, are known to have anti-diabetic properties. Amorfrutins also contain a wide range of anti-inflammatory properties that help ward against conditions linked to diabetes. It was discovered that amorfrutins had qualities that lowered blood sugar and avoided fatty liver, a condition brought on by consuming too many fatty meals. Lowering glucose levels functions as a preventative measure against the development of insulin resistance, which is the key contributing factor to type 2 diabetes.
Management Aid and Prevention of Diabetes
These herbs, along with many others, have been used to reduce blood sugar levels and aid in the management and prevention of diabetes. Although these herbs are natural, please keep in mind that you should still take safety precautions, such as consulting your doctor and buying these herbs from reputable sources. These herbs have been included as components in several supplements that have been carefully formulated while taking into account their synergistic effects. I really hope that this information has helped you in your efforts to control and prevent diabetes.
This article is brought to you by The Healthy Taste